Keep an earthquake preparedness kit on hand. Include the following:
- Food and water - at minimum, a 3 day supply (a 7 day supply is ideal)
- First Aid kit and First Aid manual
- Large and small heavy-duty plastic bags, duct tape and scissors
- Extra prescriptions and eyewear
- Heavy-duty shoes and gloves
- Extra clothing and a whistle
- Rescue tools
- Portable TV and/or radio with extra batteries
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Cash (ATMs and credit cards may not work)
- Emergency Phone List, including family at work, school, daycare, etc.
- Long-distance message check-in phone number
- Cell phone
During an Earthquake
Falling objects or debris that has become dislodged by the quake causes most earthquake-induced injuries. During an earthquake, please observe the following:
- Remain calm; do not panic.
- Stay in the office area.
- Take cover under tables, desks, or strong doorways.
- Keep away from windows and glass doors.
- Keep clear of filing cabinets, shelves and tall stacks of materials.
- Check for any injured personnel and administer first aid where necessary.
- Floor Wardens should assess damage and injuries and be prepared to expedite evacuation of serious cases.
- In the event of a fire resulting from an earthquake, follow the fire emergency procedures.
Following an Earthquake
- Be prepared for aftershocks. While aftershocks are generally smaller than the earthquake that generates them, they can cause additional damage.
- If you smell gas, notify the Building Office or Security immediately.
- Check immediate location - make sure you are safe.
- Check for injuries and apply first aid as needed. Be prepared for an absence of immediate emergency services and be prepared to help yourself and others.
- Extinguish any fires. Do not light matches. Do not smoke.
- Listen for news or pertinent instructions on the radio or television.
- Do not use the telephone unless you have a dire emergency.
- Ensure that all telephone receivers are properly mated to their cradles.
- Conserve and responsibly ration food and water.